Friday, November 2, 2007

Torah semantics: Let's get rid of the word and just do it!

Maybe it's the word Law or Torah that is keeping people from following God's instructions. Or maybe it's those capital letters. Maybe we need a new word so that God's Word is palatable--not "passed away," "current," new." No, make it splashy, window-dress it. Call it something snappy, maybe then people will embrace it, something like . . . "God's loving manual for a blessed, holy, pleasing life." Ok not snappy but accurate. I have decided to forget about the word choice and embrace Him and do as He did because I love Him.

Who are people trying to impress with "the law has been done away with" declaration? God? Because He is the only person we are here to impress and sadly or on second thought, thankfully, we can never impress Him (who knows what we'd be like if we could, worse than we are I am sure). And even if we could impress him, renouncing His very Word would infuriate Him, not impress.

And so . . . consider these verses from the Bible:

Hebrew Scriptures
Leviticus 18:5
- 'So you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if he does them; I am the LORD.' (NASB)

Jeremiah 31
:
33 - "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people."(NIV).

Apostolic Writings (New Testament)
Hebrews 8
:10
"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people" (NIV).

It's amazing to realize that God has written His "loving manual for a blessed, holy, pleasing life" on OUR HEARTS. WOW! And that is not only found in the Tanakh, but it's also in the Apostolic Scriptures.

And in Ecclesiastes 3:11 we have: "He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end" (NKJV).

Eternity and His instructions are both on our hearts. Could that be the stirring that we have inside when we look at a sunset, read His Word, struggle to make a decision, contemplate our purpose? Could it be the anger we feel when we do any of these things as well because we are in rebellion of He who breathed life into our lungs, sustains our bodies, and wrote on our hearts?

No comments: