Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jesus at the bar?

I drive up and down Warwick Avenue usually twice per day. Driving home Sunday night I saw a sign on Eddie's Bar that I absolutely loved...here it is>>

In the window on the right is one of those Sam Adams light-ups and on the main Eddie's sign: "JESUS SAVES." I did a double-take and lots of knee slaps. I thought it was great. Usually the letters spell what band is playing or what the day's beer special is...

So on the way to work Monday morning I had to pull over and take some pictures. Here's what was on the other side: HO HO HO WHERE DID THE SUMMER GO

Some people might say HO HO HO makes more sense on a bar sign: Santa's battle-cry along with a lament that summer is gone. Enter winter: the season of depression. And a bar often caters to the depressed, at least stereotypically in tv land. Makes some odd sense.

But then you see the flip-side...JESUS SAVES. I have no idea why they put either slogan on this sign or both at the same time. But though the dichotomy is quite interesting, what I find more interesting is that JESUS SAVES on this bar sign reminds me that G-d is EVERYWHERE, waiting to be seen, heard, spoken to, smiled at, bought a drink...loved. If He can be in the church, the synagogue, the football field, He can also be in a bar.

So if you're in Eddie's, will you look around, I mean really look and when you see Jesus, will you buy Him a drink? I will. Thanks Eddie's!

No comments: