Friday, November 21, 2008

Sleeping unawares

I woke up at 5 am--which would be a fine time to get up if I hadn't been so tired lately--and instead of telling myself to fall back to sleep for an hour, I allowed my mind to wander...big mistake since I just laid there wandering through situations and plans...And that got me thinking that the only time we turn our thinking completely off is when we are asleep. In sleep, we are finally as G-d wants us to be: resting, at peace, trusting that He will awaken us and allow us to live another day. During sleep we are completely unaware of ourselves--just as He desires us to be.

So if we can rest and be unware of ourselves while sleeping, in our waking hours we should strive for that same unwareness of self: not caring what people think, but only caring about what He thinks; not worrying about what we need to do, but trusting in Him to provide; not planning every move we will make, but listening to Him to direct our every step.

The more unaware of the self that we become, the more aware we will be of the awesomeness of Ad-nai and maybe we will be in a position to hear and obey what He is saying.

No comments: