Sunday, January 6, 2008

Last night, I prayed for Danny Bonaduce

So I was in the falling asleep stage last night but began to reawaken before sleep took over and I overheard my mind trying to decide which show Danny Bonaduce was on: the Brady Bunch or the Partridge Family. So while Bobby and Danny were both saying, "I am the real Danny Bonaduce," I regained consciousness and wondered why in the world Danny Bonaduce had popped into my brain. I never liked the Patridge Family and I haven't seen his face on TV or even seen his name in a while. So I did what I should always do when in doubt: pray. I prayed for Danny Bonaduce. Nothing in particular, nothing long and drawn out. Just a simple prayer that Danny would know that God loves him.

So I don't know why I thought of Danny, but in relation to this, our rabbi asked a question last week that has gotten my husband and me praying for people who not only wouldn't we have thought to pray for, but people we might have thought: "they don't even deserve prayer." How unbelievably ignorant, elitest, un-God-like of us. So since then we've prayed for Rod Stewart, Fergie, Will I Am of the Black-eyed Peas, Mike Tyson . . . and now I will include Danny Bonaduce and whoever pops into my mind regardless of my state of consciousness. Whether I know them doesn't matter. Whether I think they are talented doesn't matter. Whether I dislike their style of music or acting ability doesn't matter. Whether I think they are "good people" doesn't matter. What they "deserve" according to anyone's standards doesn't matter. What matters is that God loves them no less than the "pious do-gooders" who may even think they are doing God a favor by praying for those "less fortunate" than they.

No comments: